How We Began?
KITAR: Peranti Lama, Nafas Baharu (previously known as "Mobile e-Waste: Old Phone, New Life") is an initiative that was initially launched on August 2015 and was re-launched as KITAR on November 2022. The main objective is to advocate the importance of environmentally safe disposal and recycling of end-of-life (EOL) mobile devices.
KITAR complements the Department of Environment (DOE) initiatives concerning household e-waste management in Malaysia. Generally, e-waste with the code SW110 is controlled under the First Schedule, Environmental Quality (Scheduled Waste) Regulations 2005, Environmental Quality Act 1974. The control and management of e-waste from household (from generation to disposal) is regulated under the e-waste management system developed by DOE.
KITAR is MCMC's response to the ITU's Resolution 79 adopted at World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly (WTSA 12). Resolution 79 invites its Member States to take all necessary measures to handle and control e-Waste in order to mitigate the hazards which arise from used telecommunication/ICT equipment.
How Does it Work?
Collect old mobile devices and accessories
Drop devices into the collection boxes at selected Drop Points
The recyclers will collect and transport devices to the facility
Proper disposal and urban mining will take place
Recovered materials will be used to manufacture new products
Managing Data on
Your Mobile Device
Practice the following steps before throwing your old devices into the collection box
- Terminate your service (if applicable).
- Transfer data from your mobile device memory, external storage card and SIM card to your new device.
- Make sure you delete all the remaining data in your mobile device or you can conduct a factory reset.
- Remove and destroy unused SIM card and external storage card from your mobile device.
- Dispose the mobile device, SIM card, external storage card and accessories into the KITAR collection box.
- By dropping the device into the collection box you hereby agree and consent to participate in the e-Waste Management Programme (“Programme”), represent that you are the legitimate owner of the device and/or the authorized person to act on behalf of the owner of the device, and you waive all ownership and/or rights on the device.
- You further agree to delete all information stored by you in the device including but not limited to text, data, photos, images, applications and Personal Data. For the avoidance of doubt, Personal Data shall have the same meaning given to it in the Malaysian Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (as amended from time to time).
- You agree to accept all risks and responsibility for all loss, damage, cost, expense, liabilities of any kind or nature, whether directly or indirectly, as a result of breach of any terms of this Programme.
- You shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (“MCMC”), service providers and the participating stakeholders from any charges, claims, damages, costs, judgements, decrees, expenses (including, without limitation, reasonable legal fees), penalties and liabilities of any kind or nature whatsoever arising of any third party claim by virtue of your participation in this Programme.